Kurdistan seeks CBI green light to launch Nishtiman Bank

The National Bank of Kurdistan, known as Nishtiman Bank, is awaiting final authorization from the Central Bank of Iraq (CBI) to begin operations and extend loans to citizens, the Kurdish Ministry of Finance and Economy said on Thursday.
The video for this My FX Buddies Blog post is below here:
In a statement, Hawri Kamal, legal adviser at the ministry, noted that the ministry secured the bank’s headquarters and that officials selected the proposed board members and submitted their names for ratification as part of the licensing process.
Nishtiman Bank, he added, will provide financial advances to public employees and citizens, including mortgages, car financing, and support for agricultural and industrial projects, as well as small loans, with the scale and structure of these facilities to be determined in line with the bank’s financial capacity once it formally begins operations.
Mouloud Saber, Director General of Commercial Banks in the Kurdistan Region, had earlier said the bank forms part of broader efforts to regulate the sector, which includes 94 state-owned and private banks, and to reorganize administrative structures within government banks. The bank’s capital stands at 250 billion Iraqi dinars (approximately $164M), with 25 billion dinars deposited in cash at the Central Bank’s Kurdistan branch and the remaining 225 billion dinars placed in commercial banks.
KRG Adds Iraqi Islamic Bank to e-Psûle Platform, Expands Digital Payment Options for Citizens
According to an official statement, the addition makes Iraqi Islamic Bank the seventh strategic partner in the system, alongside AsiaPay, FastPay, FIB, NassWallet, ZainCash, and Cihan Bank.

The Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) announced on Thursday that the Iraqi Islamic Bank has joined its e-Psûle digital payment platform, enabling citizens to pay their electricity bills through the bank while benefiting from special discounts.
According to an official statement, the addition makes Iraqi Islamic Bank the seventh strategic partner in the system, alongside AsiaPay, FastPay, FIB, NassWallet, ZainCash, and Cihan Bank. The partnership expands access to digital financial services and provides users with additional flexibility in managing utility payments.
Customers of Iraqi Islamic Bank can now access e-Psûle through the bank’s mobile application and online portal, a move officials say will simplify transactions and accelerate the shift toward cashless public services.
The KRG also highlighted a limited-time incentive to encourage adoption. Until March 12, household electricity subscribers who use e-Psûle via participating banks or electronic wallets will receive a 20% discount on electricity bills or outstanding electricity loans.
The platform was officially launched on February 10 by Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani. It is the government’s sole authorized digital payment gateway, licensed by the Central Bank of Iraq, and is designed to streamline procedures, improve transparency in revenue collection, and enhance convenience for citizens.
Officials say the continued expansion of partner institutions reflects growing confidence in the platform and signals the KRG’s broader push to modernize public services through secure digital solutions.
Washington reduces its diplomatic presence in Iraq and Gulf states amid tensions with Iran

Two Iraqi and American officials said on Thursday that the United States has reduced the number of its diplomatic staff at its missions in Iraq and some Gulf states, taking precautionary measures against the backdrop of escalating regional tensions, without disclosing details about the size or nature of the reduction.
They added in an interview with Shafaq News Agency that the reduction included staff in a number of locations, while work continued in the remaining missions according to normal operational arrangements with a reduction in some staff and non-essential activities.
Meanwhile, an official at the US Embassy declined to comment on this news to Shafaq News Agency, saying only that "the US Embassy in Baghdad and the US Consulate General in Erbil are open, and our operations are proceeding as usual."
In response to questions about the status of the forces, an official at the US Central Command (CENTCOM), which is part of the US Department of Defense, told Shafaq News Agency that "the US military will not comment on personnel movements or troop status for reasons related to operational security and the safety of military personnel."
The moves come after US President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social on Wednesday, February 18, warning Britain against “giving away” the Diego Garcia base, saying the base could be needed in any military operation to deter a “potential attack” from Iran.
In parallel, several capitals escalated their warnings to their citizens against traveling to Iran and called on those already there to leave, with Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk urging his citizens to leave Iran "immediately," warning of "an imminent risk of escalation."
The US State Department has also reiterated in recent security alerts its call for its citizens to "leave Iran now" in light of unrest and security risks.
This is happening while indirect nuclear talks continued in Geneva, mediated by Oman, without any announcement of a decisive breakthrough.
On the military front, Western reports said the US military is preparing for the possibility of operations that could last "for weeks" if Trump orders an attack, with official US expectations of an Iranian response and a shift in targeting beyond nuclear infrastructure.
In the same context, Axios quoted Israeli officials as saying that the government is preparing for the possibility of a large-scale confrontation that "could erupt within days," while informed sources spoke of different time estimates within the US administration.
Want to Support My FX Buddies?
Support My FX Buddies Big or Small I appreciate it all
BuyMeACoffee CashApp:$tishwash
https://paypal.me/tishwash
The skies of the Middle East are teeming with "Raptor" and "Thunderbolt"... and there are no Iraqi emergency plans yet!

According to available information, the deployed force included:
48 F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft
, 12 F-22 Raptor aircraft
, 18 F-35 Lightning II aircraft
, 6 E-3G Sentry AWACS early warning
aircraft, 1 E-11A BACN air communications aircraft,
22 aerial refueling tanker aircraft (KC-135 and KC-46)
, 13 military transport aircraft (C-17, C-5, and others).
This large air buildup was accompanied by reports in American newspapers, including the Wall Street Journal and Axios, indicating that US President Donald Trump may decide to launch an attack on Iran at any moment, after becoming fed up with what he describes as Tehran’s “time game,” and that Iran will not accept – according to those assessments – the conditions and red lines that Trump puts forward regarding its nuclear file and its regional role.
Faced with this rapidly evolving situation, a sharp internal question arises: What about Iraq's preparations? So far, there are no announced contingency plans or detailed official positions explaining to the public how the state will deal with the consequences of any large-scale military clash between Washington and Tehran, despite the sensitivity of Iraq's geographical location and the entanglement of its economic and security interests with both sides.
In this context, strategic affairs expert Hussein Al-Asaad revealed to Baghdad Today on Thursday (February 19, 2026) what Iraq could do in the event of a military war between the United States of America and the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Al-Asaad said that "Iraq is closely monitoring the recent developments between the United States and Tehran, and caution must be exercised that any military escalation between the two sides could put the country in a very critical situation, given its strategic geographical location in the middle of the region."
He explained that "Iraq has been on high alert within its security and military apparatus since the increase in tension between Washington and Tehran, and there are emergency plans in place to secure vital facilities and maintain the stability of major cities from any potential side effects of the conflict."
He added that “among the preparations that Iraq must undertake is strengthening border control, especially with Iran, to control any armed movements or arms smuggling that may affect internal security, while raising the readiness of security and military units to secure civilian areas and maintain local security stability, and developing a civil emergency plan that includes securing food and medicine stocks, and ensuring the continuity of basic services in case the infrastructure is affected, in addition to diplomatic coordination with all international and regional parties to reduce the risk of Iraq becoming a direct battleground.”
The expert in strategic affairs continued, “Iraq always tries to be a neutral party, but at the same time it is ready for any scenario that may impose itself on reality, whether by strengthening civil defense capabilities or by coordinating with regional and international powers to avoid the country falling into a spiral of conflict,” stressing that “Iraqi stability is directly linked to regional and international politics, and any military action between Washington and Tehran will leave tangible effects on the Iraqi economy and society, and therefore the current plans aim to protect the citizen and infrastructure as much as possible.”
Between the buildup of American aircraft over the region and the relative official Iraqi silence regarding the details of the emergency plans, the public's concern remains suspended between a scenario of widespread escalation that would disrupt the home front, and a scenario of diplomatic containment that passes over Iraqi airspace without leaving behind a new wave of crises.
Washington – The Interior Minister of the Kurdistan Region discusses strengthening security cooperation with the US Federal Bureau of Investigation.

As part of his official visit to the United States of America, the Minister of Interior of the Kurdistan Regional Government, Rebar Ahmed, visited the headquarters of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in Washington, D.C.
The minister held a meeting with the assistant director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Jason Kaplan, during which they reviewed prospects for joint security cooperation.
Both sides stressed the need to strengthen coordination ties and develop working mechanisms between the security institutions in the region and the Federal Office.
The talks focused on vital issues, with both sides emphasizing the development of joint efforts in combating terrorism, strengthening ways to address international and transnational crimes, and exchanging security expertise to enhance regional and international stability.
This visit comes within the framework of the Kurdistan Regional Government's ongoing efforts to strengthen its international partnerships with global security institutions, in order to ensure the increased efficiency of local agencies in confronting contemporary security challenges.
An Iraqi delegation will visit Iran soon... Gas supplies are completely cut off, and the heatwave will reveal the extent of demand.

The Ministry of Electricity announced the formation of an official delegation that will visit Iran soon to discuss the issue of gas supply in preparation for the summer season, given the existing need for it.
According to the ministry spokesman, Ahmed Moussa, "The gas supplies and quantities agreed upon with the Iranian side are still completely halted, which has led to the loss of more than 5,500 megawatts of generating capacity for the national grid."
He noted that "this stoppage directly affected a number of vital centers supplying the southern and central regions, in addition to the capital, Baghdad," explaining that "the current moderate temperatures have contributed to controlling the loads and providing relatively stable supply hours."
He stressed that “any fluctuation in temperatures will reveal the actual size of the demand, especially with the approach of summer, which requires full readiness of stations and an abundance of fuel,” noting that “the delegation that will leave for Iran will discuss the quantities that can be supplied to ensure the stability of the network during the peak of summer.”
Musa also said that "work is continuing on the liquefied gas platform project at Khor Al-Zubair port, and it is hoped that it will be completed by the beginning of next June," indicating that "the platform will secure about 500 million standard cubic feet per day, which will provide between 3,500 and 4,000 megawatts through combined and simple cycle power plants."
He spoke of "high-level coordination with the Ministry of Oil to supply some stations with national gas produced in the southern and central regions, especially the Basmaya station, as well as securing alternative fuel (gas oil) for stations capable of operating with it."
He added that "the demand for energy is witnessing a significant increase as a result of the expansion of electrical appliances, modern buildings and investment projects," stressing that "the growth of residential areas and the conversion of agricultural lands into residential areas, as well as the spread of slums, have become additional, rapidly increasing loads that put pressure on the electrical grid."
Except for Hamoudi, the coordinating framework withdraws its support from Maliki.

Iraqi sources reported on Thursday that some members of the Coordination Framework and Shiite blocs withdrew their support for Nouri al-Maliki’s candidacy, while only Humam Hamoudi, head of the “Abshir Ya Iraq ” bloc, remained in support of him.
Sources told Al-Araby TV, as reported by Al-Sa’a Network, that “some members of the coordinating framework and Shiite political blocs withdrew their support for Maliki’s candidacy, and only Humam Hamoudi, who heads the Abshir Ya Iraq bloc, which holds 4 seats in the Iraqi parliament, continues to support him .”
The sources added that "the deadline given by the US Chargé d'Affaires, Joshua Harris, to the political leaders within the coordination framework ends today ."
She noted that "a meeting of the coordination framework was scheduled for last Monday, but it was postponed at the request of al-Maliki due to the expiration of the deadline, and it was postponed to Thursday ."
Against this backdrop, the coordinating framework may withdraw al-Maliki’s nomination or replace him with another candidate who does not face internal and external problems, and who is a figure acceptable to everyone .
US President Donald Trump had warned that Washington would not provide any assistance to Iraq if Maliki returned to power .
Internal movement within the coordination framework to withdraw al-Maliki's nomination
The “Coordination Framework” forces are witnessing escalating internal movement that may lead to the withdrawal of Nouri al-Maliki’s nomination for prime minister, amid internal political pressures, external reservations, and a clear division regarding proceeding with his nomination or searching for a consensus alternative, according to the “Eram News ” website.
The website revealed in a report seen by Al-Sa’a Network, citing its sources, that “there is a movement within the coordinating framework to gather two-thirds of its members to proceed with an official procedure to withdraw al-Maliki’s nomination, in preparation for naming an alternative figure described as less controversial and more capable of achieving political consensus .”
He added that "several names have been put forward behind the scenes, most notably the current Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani as a choice that enjoys relative acceptance internally and externally, while the name of former Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi is being put forward as a compromise candidate in case an agreement on the first option cannot be reached, in addition to the name of Hamid al-Shatri being circulated in some circles ."
He stressed that “talk of alternatives is no longer just media leaks, but has become part of a real internal debate, especially with some forces realizing that the continuation of the crisis may threaten to undermine understandings within the Shiite community .”
He pointed out that "the coordination framework is facing a crucial test between sticking to its current candidate at any cost, or going towards a compromise option that achieves a degree of internal and external acceptance," explaining that "any step to withdraw the nomination will be done according to an internal voting mechanism, which means that the matter has become linked to the balance of power within the alliance itself ."
The report suggests that "continued divisions within the framework may lead to one of two paths: either al-Maliki's withdrawal by a collective decision that saves face for everyone, or forces within the coalition resorting to an internal vote with a two-thirds majority to overturn the nomination, in a move described as politically sensitive."
Trump: We will know within 10 days if we will reach an agreement with Iran.
US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that the United States must reach a "productive agreement" with Iran, warning that "bad things will happen" if no understanding is reached.
Trump added, in remarks during the launch of the Peace Council, that the next ten days will be crucial in determining whether an agreement will be reached with Tehran, noting that "Iran cannot be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon."
He continued, saying, "We will see where things go between Israel and Iran," referring to the escalating tension between the two sides.
Trump also pointed out that the B-2 bombers had completely destroyed Iran’s nuclear capabilities, adding that this was followed by peace in the Middle East, as he put it.
The US president affirmed that achieving peace in the region is “not impossible,” but stressed that preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon remains a priority for Washington.
.png)

.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment